At the Bishop's direction, Faith Formation activities are suspended during the current Health Crisis.
Fr. Minh Do and the catechists at Church of the Nativity wish you a warm welcome to our Faith Formation program. We hope that you find all the information you need here and, if not, please do not hesitate to call or email us!
Children's Faith Formation
The Church of the Nativity invites all children and youth, baptized or not, to participate in the catechetical program. Faith Formation is designed for children in grades K-8 who are not currently attending a Catholic school.
The goals of Nativity’s Faith Formation are:
- Ongoing conversion to Jesus Christ
- Full participation in the life of the Catholic Church
- To foster community among the students, their families and the Parish community
Program Overview & Calendar
Faith Formation meets on Sundays during the school year and takes off most weekends corresponding with school holidays. Here is our 2019-2020 calendar.
Hours and Location
Grades K-6 classes are offered on Sunday morning from 8:50 to 10:05 in our Parish School classrooms, located behind the church.
Grades 7-8 meet together on Sunday evening from 5:00-6:15, when discussion is held in the library located in the Parish Commons.
Grade Level Themes
- Grade 1: God is Good - provides a simple overview of the mysteries of our faith
- Grade 2: God Cares for Us - is designed to prepare your child for his or her first celebration of the Sacrament of Penance and Reconciliation and the Sacrament of the Eucharist
- Grade 3: We Believe - presents the main truths that Catholics believe and express in the Creed
- Grade 4: God Guides Us - focuses on the Ten Commandments and the Beatitudes as guides for living
- Grade 5: We Worship - focuses on the sacraments, especially the Eucharist as the center of Christian life
- Grade 6: God Calls a People - is the study of God’s saving love as it is revealed in the Bible, particularly the Old Testament
- Grade 7: Jesus the Way, the Truth, and the Life - is the study of God’s saving love as it is revealed through his Son, Jesus
- Grade 8: The Church Then and Now - is devoted to the study of God’s faithful love as it is revealed in the Church founded by Jesus Christ
First Communion and First Reconciliation
In union with the Diocese of San Diego, there is a two year process to prepare students for First Holy Communion, which begins in First Grade and completes in Second Grade. We also have an option for those who wish to begin their First Holy Communion journey post first/second grade.
Home Based Catechesis/ Home Schooling
If attending Faith Formation at Nativity is not possible due to an extenuating circumstance, we are happy to help provide curriculum and a guide for parents to instruct their children at home. Please contact the Faith Formation Coordinator for more details, [email protected]. Click here to see the Diocese website and rationale for partnering with the Church to educate your children in the faith.
Registration Payment Information
Tuition is $130 for one child. We welcome your inquiry about our discounted fee schedule for multiple children.
An additional fee of $30 will be added for students preparing for First Holy Communion to cover the additional resources required.
Tuition helps cover the cost of books, supplies, activities, and related expenses. All materials needed for the classes are provided. Full payment is necessary for enrollment, but no child will be turned away for financial reasons. Please contact the Faith Formation Coordinator to inquire about scholarships.
To register for our program, please email the Faith Formation Coordinator Amanda Telles, at [email protected].